Monday, June 4, 2007

maggie and milly and molly and may by E. E. Cummings

10


maggie and milly and molly and may
went down to the beach(to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles,and

milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and

may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.

For whatever we lose(like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea

I like this poem because I like the rhyme he uses I think that it very entertaining, I also like the way he compares the sea at the end with a sort of heaven, like the place everyone meets after death.
Another poem be e.e. cummings that I really liked is this one:

dying is fine)but Death by E. E. Cummings

dying is fine)but Death


?o
baby
i

wouldn't like

Death if Death
were
good:for

when(instead of stopping to think)you

begin to feel of it,dying
's miraculous
why?be

cause dying is

perfectly natural;perfectly
putting
it mildly lively(but

Death

is strictly
scientific
& artificial &

evil & legal)

we thank thee
god

almighty for dying
(forgive us,o life!the sin of Death

I like this poem because he describes the difference of two words that for us could be the exact same thing just said differently, but to him they are two totally different things and I like that when he describes this two things he actually makes you see death & dying as two totally different things, so I think that in this poem he really acheives what I believe was his aim (making you see death & dying as tatal opposites). I also like the way he writes it because it makes you feel that it is a theme on which he feels passionate about.

rebeca 9B

No comments: